The overall objective of the course is to give the students insight into cloud services from both business and technology perspectives. Typically, business students focus more on the business value whereas information technology students have a stronger focus on technology.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student
- knows the concept and definition of cloud computing
- understands the opportunities of cloud services from the business viewpoint
- understands how cloud computing may be used in product development, software development as well as in infrastucture
- knows how to use at least one of the most common PaaS and IaaS platforms for developing software and for administering virtual servers
- is capable of planning and implementing a cloud services related project
Starting level and linkage with other courses
The student may focus on the business aspects or on the technical aspects of cloud services. The former approach does not require any specific technical skills but for the latter approach, basic information systems tools and architectures knowledge is assumed.
- Introduction to cloud computing
- Service models: SaaS, PaaS, IaaS
- Deployment models: private cloud, public cloud, hybrid cloud and community cloud
- Serverless architecture or FaaS
- Cloud services in product development
- Company cases illustrating the practical aspects of cloud services.
- A project work either with a business orientation around SaaS or with a technical orientation. The technically oriented project topics deal with IaaS or PaaS.
Assessment criteria - grade 1
The student understands the basic concepts of cloud services and how cloud services can be used to create value for business. S/he can name related software tools and – at an abstract level – knows how they could be used.
Assessment criteria - grade 3
The student has a good understanding of cloud services and their application to create value for business. S/he knows related software tools and can use them in practice.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
The student has an excellent understanding of cloud services and their application to create value for business. S/he knows related software tools and is skilled at using them in practice.
This course replaces the previous curriculum’s course Cloud Services.
17.01.2022 - 20.05.2022
03.01.2022 - 14.01.2022
15 - 40
BUTEM Degree Programme in Business Technologies, LITEM Liiketoiminnan teknologiat -koulutus