The overall learning objective of the course is to give the students insight into both how business may benefit from data analytics, including advanced analytics and machine learning, as well as a hands-on knowledge on how to implement data analytics in practice.
Business students focus more on the business value whereas information technology students have the focus closer to the technical implementation.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student:
• knows the concepts of artificial intelligence and machine learning and how they are related to each other
• understands the concept of business analytics and how it can be applied to bring value to business
• knows the concept of big data and how it differs from traditional data sets
• is able to identify new data sources and collect data from them. These include sources consisting of both company internal and external data. Such sources may be data warehouses, public open data, un- and semistructured data (social media data, log data) and IoT data.
• knows some tools and methods for taking advantage of business analytics in product development and management
• is capable of planning and implementing a business analytics project