The Fundamentals of Circular Economy in Hospitality EXP4HM111-3001 24.10.2022-19.05.2023 5 (NONSTOP, ...)+-
After completing the course, the student:
• has a well-rounded understanding of what circular economy means specifically in an internationally oriented hospitality setting
• is able to understand the key concepts of a circular economy in her/his thinking and reasoning
• is able to recognize business opportunities related to circular economy in the hospitality industry
• can skillfully assess the appropriateness of circular economy initiatives of hospitality industry players
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Introduction to the impact of the hospitality industry on natural resources consumption, environment and sustainability.
- Understand and define the key environmental and sustainability impacts of the hospitality industry, including contribution to local economic development
- Understand and explore established ways of measuring sustainability performance of companies
- Understand and identify the key benefits of sustainability management in the hospitality industry
Circular economy in the hospitality industry
- Understand the difference between linear and circular business models and where they are prevalent in the hospitality industry.
- Hospitality as a setting for circular economy transitioning.
- Understand the fundamental principles of circular economy and the characteristics of circular business models
Assessment criteria - grade 1
The student is able to define the key concepts of a circular economy. S/he can describe hospitality business and management from the viewpoint of circular economy to an extent.
Assessment criteria - grade 3
The student masters the key concepts of a circular economy. S/he can describe hospitality business and management from the viewpoint of circular economy.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
The student masters the key concepts of a circular economy skillfully. S/he can fully describe hospitality business and management from the viewpoint of circular economy.
24.10.2022 - 19.05.2023
13.06.2022 - 21.04.2023
Minna-Maari Harmaala, Annika Konttinen
15 - 40
HOSBUM Degree Programme in Tourism and Hospitality Business