Nature and nature tourism are most important pull factors of the tourism to Finland. This module is suitable for all students who are interested in getting more insight into the nature based tourism and its development. The module is based on learning by doing including various activities such as guest lectures, company visits, development projects, presentations and study excursion to nature.
Upon completion of this module, the student is able to
• understand the concepts of the nature tourism, its elements and the possibilities of nature as a pull factor for different customer groups
• understand the different profiles of different target groups
• understand different nature based sustainable business models
• analyse a nature based tourism business
• use professional tools for developing successful nature based tourism business.
Starting level and linkage with other courses
The student has successfully completed the Basic Studies. The module is a part of the elective advanced studies in Porvoo Campus competence-based curriculum.
• Nature tourism phenomenon and concept
• Finland’s nature for tourism business
• Different nature profiles and target groups
• Digitalisation of nature tourism
• Tools for development of nature tourism
• Nature tourism entrepreneurship
• Green care and nature wellbeing
• Food in nature and food from nature
• Sustainability in nature tourism
Assessment criteria - grade 1
The student’s participation in the activities of the module is rather passive and his/her contribution to the team work is inadequate. The student shows only moderate ability to analyse or develop nature-based tourism business. The student completes the assignments and the development project of the module without high initiative or creativity and does not show deep understanding of the topic.
Assessment criteria - grade 3
The student’s participation in the activities of the module is rather active and his/her contribution to the team work is considerable/valuable. The student shows enhanced ability to analyse or develop nature-based tourism business. The student completes the assignments and the development project of the module with good results and understands well the concepts of the topic.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
The student’s participation in the activities of the module is very active and constructive. He/she acts as a team motivator with his/her actions and knowledge and the student’s contribution to the team work and to the development project is crucial. He/she shows excellent skills to analyse and develop nature-based tourism. The student completes the assignments and the development project with excellent results showing deep understanding of the concepts of the topic and produces new ideas and thoughts.
The module takes place during the first period of the semester