On completion of this course the student is familiar with the key legislation regulating HR operations in Finland, and will perceive labour law as part of the employment relationship. The student can apply the Finnish labour law, including collective agreements, in ordinary situations at work, and is also familiar with the ethical approach of the HR management. The student will master the main issues of labour law from recruitment to termination of the employment relationship, and is able to apply his knowledge in Finland and internationally.
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Basic studies of the Finnish Law
Prerequisite: HRM1LF101 Basics of Human Resource Management or equivalent competence.
• Scope of labour law, work force options
• Collective agreements as part of labour law
• Terms of employment
• Protection of privacy in employment relationship
• Working time
• Annual holidays
• Working environment, health and safety
• Cooperation within undertakings
• Termination of employment relationship
• International employment contracts
• EU labour law
Assessment criteria - grade 1
- Knowledge: You know the key concepts within the course’s scope, but are yet to develop the general view and the big picture of the subject matter.
- Skills: - You can complete given tasks and assignments with assistance. You need to develop how to apply knowledge.
- Competence: You demonstrate some ability to perform skills and have basic knowledge, but you have difficulty to manage without assistance
Assessment criteria - grade 3
- Knowledge: You know the key concepts well and can explain how the theories and models function and the tools are used. You have a general view of the subject matter.
- Skills: You complete given tasks and assignments independently. You apply knowledge in hands-on business related situations. You can critique your own practice and identify ways to improve.
- Competence: You demonstrate sufficient ability to perform skills and have basic to good knowledge. You can perform independently, but you have some challenges in passing on your skills and knowledge to others. You have an interest in professional development.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
- Knowledge: You have a strong command of the key and related concepts. You can critically evaluate theories, models and tools. You can demonstrate explicit knowledge of the subject matter, and how it relates to other disciplines.
- Skills: You apply knowledge in demanding business related situations. You can prioritize and critically select tools and methods for solving complex problems in the subject matter.
- Competence: You execute skills with natural proficiency and you have detailed and explicit knowledge. You can perform independently and you are also able and actively willing to help others develop and pass on your skills. You have an attitude of continuous professional development.