Management of Digital Service Development, 5 cr - ICT4HM104
Course unit language
Ari Alamäki Heikki Suominen
No upcoming implementations yet.
The course is an introduction to the development of digital services. The course is positioned between IT and business perspectives. Upon the successful completion of the course, the student:
- understands the development models and principles of digital service development
- understands technology diffusion and digital transformation
- can identify new business roles and market changes in digital transformation
- can identify potential value drivers, risks and measures in managing development
- can reflect on future development opportunities and technology trends
- An introduction to digital business and digital services
- The challenges of managing IT-based development projects
- The development models, stakeholders, processes and measurement of digital service development
- Digital transformation and technology diffusion models
- New digital business models, roles and emerging technologies
- Reflection of global IT trends and the digital future
The course is a blended learning course. The main task of the course focuses on project work (individual or group) related to the course topic, where students can select user, business, management or technological perspectives on the course topic.
Depending on the implementation, the contact lessons are 1) kick-off for the course, 2) project work facilitation in the middle, and 3) the final presentation of the project work. Online tasks include orientation (e.g. video) to the given course content, learning material and online discussion tasks. There are no exams. However, there is the assessment of one’s own learning.
Recognition of prior learning (RPL)
If you have acquired the required competence in previous work tasks, recreational activities or on another course, you can demonstrate that competence and thus progress faster through your studies. More information and instructions for RPL are available at MyNet.
Depending on the implementation, video presentations, articles, books, lectures, etc.
This course replaces the following course from the previous curriculum: Digitaalisten palveluiden kehittämisen johtaminen (Finnish)
Starting level and linkage with other courses
Master’s level studies. All material and communication is in English, but you may choose between English and Finnish for your report language.
Assessment criteria - grade 1
The student partially understands development methods and principles but does not understand the role of IT in business development. Project work is limited.
Assessment criteria - grade 3
In addition to the skills and competences mentioned for Grade 1, the student has basic competence in planning and managing digital service development projects in a particular area. In addition, the student understands business and customer value in developing digital services. The project work demonstrates these skills and competences.
Assessment criteria - grade 5
In addition to the skills and competences mentioned for Grades 1 and 3, the student thoroughly understands the principles and success factors of digital service development and is able to adopt them in practice. The student can demonstrate these competences through professionally produced and completed project work. The student is able to reflect the development challenges and opportunities of digital service development in practice.