No upcoming implementations yet.
The pedagogy in the implementation includes:
● Inquired based learning by doing research on a real market and airlines, writing a basic report as a preparation for the final thesis and doing peer grading.
● Inquired based learning by starting up and developing an airline on a simulation tool.
● Peer learning though peer grading, through class and group collaboration towards common goals and peer evaluation of group members at the end
● Learning through team work during most of the course
● The course uses a blended approach with sessions face to face as well as sessions online
Required Books and resources:
● Airline Online User Guide and video guides provided by instructor
● Doganis, R. (2019). Flying Off Course: Airline Economics and
● Wensveen, J. (2016). Air Transportation: A Management Perspective.
● Bartlik, M. 2011. The Impact of EU Law on the Regulation of
International Air Transportation. Ashgate.
● Morrell, Peter.S. 2013. Airline Finance. Ashgate.
● Rhoades, Dawna l. 2014. Evolution of International Aviation Phoenix
● Sheehan, J.J. 2013. Business and Corporate Aviation Management.
New York: McGraw-Hill Education.
● Vasigh, B. & Fleming, K. & Tacker, T. 2013. Introduction to Air
Transport Economics From Theory to Applications. Second Edition.
● Airline Annual Reports can be found at the airline investors’ websites.
Guest lecturers and links of the course content with job adverts
There is not exam. Only projects and assignments mostly in groups.
International Airline Analysis
International network of routes in a simulation environment.
18.01.2021 - 21.05.2021
The assessment if divided into three levels: individual, group and class Class assessment through ● Collaboration on the airline online simulation trial Group assessment through ● of airline market research report ● Video presentation of airline business canvas ● Analysis Reports after Airline Online Simulation periods ● Airline Online Simulation results o Maximizing Profit o Minimizing Fuel Consumption ● Final Report and Video Presentation Individual Assessment through ● Teacher individual evaluation of participation in the class ● Peer grading of group member’s performance in the group
04.01.2021 - 15.01.2021
Contacts are indicated as 18 sessions along the semester
Session 1: Introduction of the course
Session 2: Market research workshop 1/2
Session 3: Market research workshop 2/2
Session 4: Familiarization with simulation through manuals and video guides
Session 5: Random group creation and group team building
Session 6: Groups start up Trial 1/2+ BATCH 1 & Class Collaboration
Session 7: Groups start up Trial 2/2 + BATCH 2 - T1 (Airline Business Models)
Session 8: Business Plan using business model canvas and presented no a 3 min Video presentation
Session 9: Game - BATCH 1 + T2 (Route Management)
Session 10: Game - BATCH 2 + T3 (Fleet Planning)
Session 11: Game - BATCH 3 + T4 (Airline Profitability)
Session 12: Game - BATCH 4 + T5 (Airline Marketing and Distribution)
Session 13: Game - BATCH 5 + T6 (Airline Network: Hub Vs. Point to Point)
Session 14: Game - BATCH 6 + T7 (Cargo)
Session 15: Game – BATCH 7 + T8 (Decision Making)
Session 16: Consultation on Final Report and Final Video Presentation
Session 17: Video Presentations + Q&A with a Jury
Session 18: Evaluations (Class, group members by peers) and
Overall reflection on the class
15 - 40
The assessment methods used are
● Collaboration on the airline online simulation trial
> Overall results of each group through collaboration
Group assessment through
● of airline market research report
> Research report of an airline market
● Video presentation of airline business canvas
> Video presentation
● Analysis Reports after Airline Online Simulation periods
> Analysis and decisions report
● Airline Online Simulation results
o Maximizing Profit
o Minimizing Fuel Consumption
> Results achieved vs. their peers in simulation (profit and fuel consumption)
● Final Report and Video Presentation
> Group final report and video presentation
Individual Assessment through
● Teacher individual evaluation of participation in the class
● Peer grading of group member’s performance in the group
> Level of participation in class discussions measured by instructor
> Contribution to the team measured by team members
ABBA Degree Programme in Aviation Business
No past implementations yet.